This is a list of resources about Harvard and the Harvard Management Company’s investments, financial practices, and executive compensations. Unfortunately, due to lack of transparency, very little information about investments is available to the public. Please email email@example.com if you have questions or additions to the list.
- SEC forms (even easier: http://www.tickerspy.com/pro/Harvard-Management — thanks for the tip, Chris!)
o Quarterly report detailing information about some of Harvard’s investments.
- Academic Excess: Tellus Institute
o Report comparing endowment management and executive compensation at Massachusetts universities. This is where 180:1 (statistic as of 2008) comes from.
- Educational Endowments and the Financial Crisis: Tellus Institute
o Report on the endowment model of investment in six New England schools, including Harvard.
o Information about expenses, the Harvard Management Company, and other financial things.
o Published by the Office of the Provost each year, this has information about Harvard’s income, expenses, and organization.
- Oakland Institute Report: Deciphering Emergent’s Investments in Africa
o Report by the Oakland institute detailing Emergent Asset Management’s speculative investments in Africa.
o Report prepared by United Students against Sweatshops (USAS) about HEI Hotels and Resorts as an unethical investment for university endowments. Has Information about Harvard’s investment in HEI Funds.
- Harvard Corporation Committee on Shareholder Responsibility Annual Reports
o You can request any year’s report from Harvard’s CCSR. Information on recommendations by the Student Faculty Advisory Committee on Social Responsibility and proxy vote outcomes.